Permission for use?

Talk about anything about LEGO here!
macgeoghagen

Permission for use?

Postby macgeoghagen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:41 am

I seek permission to use SR 3D builder as a 3D modeling tool in order to generate content for the free open source video game "Transcendence". This game is noncommercial. There is no price for the game or the code, and it is not supported by any revenue, to include advertizing revenue on the download website. www.neurohack.com/transcendence. Nobody is making money from that game.

If permission is granted, the finished game content would consist of 2D images of the 3D models: spaceships, guns, machinery, and other items one would expect to find in an arcade style space game. A remark line in the code for each item produced using SR 3D builder would credit Sergio Reano and include the URL to the SR 3D builder website.

posfan12

Re: Permission for use?

Postby posfan12 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:29 am

In the past I have unfortunately mostly encountered confused responses about which way LDraw (and, hence, SR 3D Builder) models can be used outside the program. I'm still not 100% sure. In the past TLG has had an mostly OK relationship with LDraw and vise versa, but I feel as if they have only done so begrudgingly, and that they might rescind their position at any time! I also don't know how TLG would react if they saw their stuff being used inside a popular video game. They might react entirely differently, since the agreement between TLG and LDraw doesn't explicitly cover video games!

Anyway, this is probably not the right place to discuss the matter. Try asking/posting the question in the LUGNET Computer Aided Drafting newsgroups instead!

Feel free to re-tell my opinion as well!

Return to “General Talk”