Experience Log.

Have any problems with SR3D Builder? Discuss them here!
Chris Morse

Experience Log.

Postby Chris Morse » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 am

I've renamed this thread. I think i'll just keep track of my experience and any bugs I find in it rather than use it for one specific issue.
Last edited by Chris Morse on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Morse

Re: Installing LDraw Library question

Postby Chris Morse » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 am

OK, well I installed the programme to the default location, choosing the desktop for the LDraw library. When installed I threw the parts away as I already had a set in the C Drive.
I installed the update, started the programme, and so far so good.
System is:

Power Supply: Tagan 800w
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3Ghz
Memory: Corsair 6400 4 x 1GB
Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate x 2
Graphics Card: 8800GTS Nvidia
Software: Windows 7 Home Premium

Chris Morse

Re: Experience Log.

Postby Chris Morse » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:44 am

3 Issues:

1- When 'sealing' a piece by right clicking. If I right click the piece instead of it sealing it opens a sub menu (I think this is probably correct to give more options) but if I right click the yellow dot I get a duplicate piece. This is sporadic and takes a lot of attempts before it doesn't happen.

2- Resizing the parts window causes all sorts of problems. It really is best to leave it at it's size, which is a shame. Could there be an option to have larger images as in MLCad?

3- The Find part box. I thought this would save a long time and was a great idea, but the parts library has different numbers to the Lego catalogue? For instance, the grey wheel in the image has a reference in the manual of: 4562210, but in the LDraw library it is 62821. If they are different am I missing the point of it being there?

Chris Morse

Postby Chris Morse » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:03 am

With regard to issue 1 above, I'm now not sure if it's an issue or me just getting used to the controls. It seems right clicking the yellow dot does seal it, but ANY other click, wheel mouse movement etc will make another duplicate.

In the model I'm making at the moment, a couple of ideas sprung up.
The wheel and cogs had to be rotated within the frame, could the option of grouping be allowed?
Could there be a deselect command?
Could there be an option for having a favourites or custom library, so pieces for a model or most used pieces could be easily found?

Chris Morse

Postby Chris Morse » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:30 am

before I got too carried away I wanted to see how exporting the model to a pro 3D package/renderer would work.

OK, so first i tried opening the model in MLCad, this worked OK but parts were missing. Somehow SR 3D will show parts that other programmes wont. I had to do some googling for the missing parts and add them into the library, after that there were no issues.
My next port of call was usually LeoCad, purely because it can export. Again, even with an updated library, there were parts missing, so i skipped that programme in favour of the latest LD View, which can export to eother STL or 3DS.

STL would import to my main 3D programme C4D, but only as 1 solid item. Saving as a 3DS file worked a treat and bought in all the parts.

So, with a workable route, I'll cary on.

Philo

Postby Philo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:33 am

2- Resizing the parts window causes all sorts of problems. It really is best to leave it at it's size, which is a shame. Could there be an option to have larger images as in MLCad?

I don't have problem with resizing the parts window... but anyway you don't get bigger thumbnails. I agree with you that they are very small and not very legible. They could at least fill better the area devoted to the part... Fortunately the bigger preview that appears at bottom of parts window when you mouse over parts help a little.

3- The Find part box. I thought this would save a long time and was a great idea, but the parts library has different numbers to the Lego catalogue? For instance, the grey wheel in the image has a reference in the manual of: 4562210, but in the LDraw library it is 62821. If they are different am I missing the point of it being there?
This is not a SR3D issue, but a parts library (LDraw) one. LEGO uses two numbers to designates things: the design number, a 4 or 5 digits number that identifies the shape of the part, and the item number (7 digits number) that identifies a shape in a given color. Since virtual parts can be used in any color, it's logical to use design number to identify them. Moreover it was for a long time the only accessible identifier, as it is generally engraved in the part in small characters (parts lists in building instructions containing item numbers are relatively recent).
You may use Bricklink search box to convert item number to design number.

Philo

Postby Philo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:42 am

OK, so first i tried opening the model in MLCad, this worked OK but parts were missing. Somehow SR 3D will show parts that other programmes wont. I had to do some googling for the missing parts and add them into the library, after that there were no issues.

SR3D comes with LDraw official parts (black background) and unofficial ones (grey background). Unofficial parts are installed in an "Unofficial" subfolder. You have to instruct MLCad to add this folder in its search path, see http://www.holly-wood.it/mlcad/customizing-en.html#scan

Saving as a 3DS file worked a treat and bought in all the parts.

Confirmed, this is the best way I know to convert LDraw data to other 3D formats. Another good point is that it knows natively of unofficial folder...

Chris Morse

Postby Chris Morse » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks Philo for some info, especially on brick naming protocols.

I've just tried making a sub assembly as a seperate model and then importing the construction as a whole to add. It worked very well with a few issues. If you don't position it correctly first time, and it becomes deselected, you cannot select the whole construction, only parts. Reopening the file and trying again eventually got it though. I don't know if it would be better or worse to have sub assemblies imported as a whole or as they are no, as seperate parts that can be placed as a whole until 'set'.

Chris Morse

Postby Chris Morse » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:39 pm

RATS!
Just had to rebuild the sub assembly. When you import the model and save, it actually saves the imported model, not the main model. So you have to click save as, and save as the main model.

Chris Morse

Postby Chris Morse » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:45 pm

I've caned the programme today and am of for a rest.
Progress is going well. Still a small annoyance is the whole deselect process. There doesn't seem to be a way of selecting a part without creating a piece you don't want and then deleting it.
What i mean is, I make a piece, position it, and click 'set' either by clicking the yellow circle, or 'return' on the keyboard. But if I then want to select a part of the model I have already made, to do a bit of copy and paste, I first have to double click somewhere else, which brings in the piece I had just selected. i delete this, and then am able to select what i want. A deselect function or hotkey would go down well.

Also, holding the wheel down (or both mose buttons) to pan is a nice and well needed feature that I found in the manual.

Return to “Support Forum”