Quick guide to Grouping features

Have any problems with SR3D Builder? Discuss them here!
xSergio74

Quick guide to Grouping features

Postby xSergio74 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:58 pm

This is going to be a quick guide to help you using grouping features of SR 3D Builder.
Since this part of the code has not been deeply tested, I recommend you to often save your work while playing with group!

- Groups are hierarchically managed. The main (root) group is "Model" group
- If no group is defined, all parts belong to root group
- Right click on any existing group shows you a menu where you can
. Create a Child group
. Rename an existing group
. Delete an existing group (if it has no children)
- Selecting and dragging a group you can change its parent
- All newly added part will belong to the currently selected group
- To assign one or more already existing bricks of your model to a group or reassigning a group:
. select parts
. click on the group you want them belong to
. press the "Set to selection" button.
. press <Space> or <Enter> to readd your selection to model
- To select all the part belonging to a group double click on it or select it and pres the "Select group" button
- To show or hide parts belonging to a group click on the check next to group name
- To delete a group select it, right click on it and choose the "Delete" option. You cannot delete a group if it has parts assigned to

Please feedback about errors
Sergio
Sergio Reano
(Author of the program)

Glenn

Re: Quick guide to Grouping features

Postby Glenn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I like this feature as it helps break down the model into subcomponents. What I have found however is that the hierarchy system does not seem to work correctly. For instance:
1. when I deselect model I should have an empty screen but I get an error.
2. when I deselect elements with sub-elements, all sub elements should disappear but nothing happens
3. When I name elements in a different hierarchy with the same name and set them to selection, the elements are attached to the first instance of the name rather than the instance within the specific hierarchy

Hope that makes sense. From an outsiders perspective these issues seem to suggest that the use of a hierarchy has little additional features than a simple list of groups with no hierarchy.

Best Regards

Glenn
Attachments
Iron Ore Wagon pair v5.L3B
An example including grouping of what I mean. Groups at the lowest hierarchy work well,higher grouping levels seem to do nothing and the group of body being named twice refers only to the first instance.
(46.52 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

xSergio74

Postby xSergio74 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Have a look and let you know...
Sergio

Glenn wrote:I like this feature as it helps break down the model into subcomponents. What I have found however is that the hierarchy system does not seem to work correctly. For instance:
1. when I deselect model I should have an empty screen but I get an error.
2. when I deselect elements with sub-elements, all sub elements should disappear but nothing happens
3. When I name elements in a different hierarchy with the same name and set them to selection, the elements are attached to the first instance of the name rather than the instance within the specific hierarchy

Hope that makes sense. From an outsiders perspective these issues seem to suggest that the use of a hierarchy has little additional features than a simple list of groups with no hierarchy.

Best Regards

Glenn
Sergio Reano
(Author of the program)

Kuperus

Postby Kuperus » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:00 pm

ehm, no offense and nice that it`s there, but what is the use of the grouping feature?

Mr Honk

Postby Mr Honk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 pm

When I use "Select Group" which part is set for the rotation center? How is the Group Reference Brick defined when I don't do it manually?
Last edited by Mr Honk on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xSergio74

Postby xSergio74 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Mr Honk wrote:When I use "Select Group" which part is set for the rotation center? How is the Group Reference Brick defined when I don't do is manually?

If you select a group but you don't set a reference brick the rotation center may be set to any part of the group by the program itself. So I recommend setting up a reference brick for each created group. It should be permanent if you do not delete the specific part.

Sergio
Sergio Reano
(Author of the program)

Mr Honk

Postby Mr Honk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:21 pm

Grazie!

Mr Honk

Postby Mr Honk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Will the groups one day work in the same way as internal models in MLCAD do? LPub recognizes them and allows very nice features for instructions (as you most likely know).

Return to “Support Forum”