extending the grouping functionality

Talk about anything about LEGO here!
gblegotech

extending the grouping functionality

Postby gblegotech » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi,

I'm using SR3D Builder for a while, an though about a feature that should interest many people who are building a complex model with 2000 and more parts.
It's about extending the grouping functionality by saving selected group in separate file.
It could works like this:
0 GROUPLIST 1
0 GR FRONT_GEAR_UNIT 5 2 False
0 ENDGROUP
0 GROUP 5
0 GROUPFILE: E:\LDRAW\MODEL\Front_gear_unit.L3B (or 0 GROUPFILE: .\Front_gear_unit.L3B )
0 GROUP 6

my compliments,
g.b.

Mr Honk

Re: extending the grouping functionality

Postby Mr Honk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:26 am

Yes that would be great! Not just for huge models but in general, e. g. when creating instructions.

edit: It would also be nice to have internal models and not just external models (separate files). Grouping is just not enough although SR3D offers great possibilities to duplicate parts.

xSergio74

Postby xSergio74 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Just to punctualize:
The program already allow to save a group as a separate file in the registered version!
Sergio Reano
(Author of the program)

gblegotech

Postby gblegotech » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:12 pm

My idea is to have the opportunity to work with only the file - i.e. .\Front_gear_unit.L3B, in the example of my previous post. Therefore be able to work only on this subset. After that, we link everything with a single document by using a new menu item below the well known "Import Model" could be "link sub-model".

with compliments,
G.B.

Mr Honk

Postby Mr Honk » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Both would be great: Working with INTERNAL sub-models (all models saved in one file) and EXTERNAL sub-models (reference to other L3B files). Would be a huge improvement for developing product structures and hence proper instructions.

Return to “General Talk”