Some ideas to improve sr3d builder

Talk about anything about LEGO here!
legolijntje

Some ideas to improve sr3d builder

Postby legolijntje » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:13 pm

I've collected some small ideas and improvements the last couple of weeks, and I present them here:

-The following parts don't have connections, but it would be very usefull:
=3747B
=98138
=3794B
=30663 (with 4697A/4697B)

-If I pick brick #2577, and I place it vertically and I place it (press enter) and I just turn ik clockwise (or the other way; doesn't matter) without moving it and place it again and when I do that for the third time it says there is already a brick in the same postition, but there isn't. (this one is a bit difficul to explain)

-The rendering engine is very good, but a rendering engine like the one in LDview can be usefull. I mean; expecially the black lines, because if I zoom out, you can't really see different bricks; it's just one giant thing (if the color is the same of course).

-An option to have multiple files open and the ability of copy and pase between the models.

-An much better instruction miner, this one is full of bugs and isn't easy to use. You can really improve this, as it already one of the "easiest".

-The option to save as or export the model to an ldr file. Now, everytime if I want an ldr, I have to manually change it.

-The ability to make your own "group of types". (So I mean the ones like the Boat type, the car type and so on...)

-Since the last update, sometimes if I place a brick, all sides of other bricks disappear and I have to save and open the model again to view the properly.

-The minifig tab: Or finish it, or remove it. It's an useless tab for ages now :P

-It would be so enormous usefull if I would be able to import other l3b files WITHOUT losing the steps. It is possible in mlcad, but I really can't use mlcad. And if I want to make good, clear instructions, I want to use submodels, but with sr3d it isn't possible. This is the option I want the most at the moment.

-If I want to move an group of bricks, it would be usefull if all bricks had the auto-allign option and not only the first one you select.

-If I want to select multiple bricks, I use CTRL. It would be usefull if (when I press CTRL) the rotate arrows would disappear until I realeas CTRL. Now, I have sometimes problems with selecting multiple bricks and pressing on rotate, but I don't want that.

-An option to select the same bricks (like the option to select the same color).

I hope you can understand this, because English it not my best language ;)
I really like your software and this are only ideas, so please don't think I don't like your software; it's great :mrgreen:

EDIT: wow, I saw that there was written problem instead of software in the sentence above :? Well, it's fixed.
Last edited by legolijntje on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philo

Re: Some ideas to improve sr3d builder

Postby Philo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Many good ideas here, I especially support this one:
-If I want to select multiple bricks, I use CTRL. It would be usefull if (when I press CTRL) the rotate arrows would disappear until I realeas CTRL. Now, I have sometimes problems with selecting multiple bricks and pressing on rotate, but I don't want that.

xSergio74

Postby xSergio74 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi,
very long post with many good ideas, some easier to implement some other not so much, some other are probably non problems. Let's see one by one:
- Connection fixing: will have a look and fix for next release
- Part already in place: I've reproduced the error and hopefully fixed it
- Rendering engine and black lines: there are not the black lines, but you can enable seams in the
View menu->Preferences -> Appearance
- Multi files opens: it maybe it is not too hard to do since the data structures have been thought with that functionality in mind, but implementing it in the code is a long process
- Instruction miner bugs and model importing/submodelling: there are not so much :cry: but I know the functionality is a bit poor and not too intuitive. I'm working on group management to improve functionality allowing the use of group as submodels. Importing models preserving step ordering is a bit complex due to my application structure. Fixing this will require some application releases...
- AutoAlign working with all selected brick: it is a performance problem. Consider the following simple sample: a single technic axle 2 has 40 connecting point, a beam 15 has over 60, a plate 4x8 have more than 100. A small technic model with 100 parts could have approx 3000 and a small selection (10 parts) could have 300 connection. Performing the full connection check will require a 3000x300=900000 checks each time you move a part (IMPOSSIBLE). Optimizing the algorithm I can check every selected part if it intersect any parts in the model=10x100=1000 checks and then check for connection match. If only one match occurs there is no problem (and the program works this way), but in case of multiple matches then it will hangs. I had to disable connection checks among baseplates due to possible hangs with big ones so, if you haven't an highly performing algorithm or it can't work!
- Exporting to .LDR: if all you need is a file rename than that's not a problem. Will do ...
- Own group types: most of them already exist. Just change the listed types in the middle main window list box to "All types" to show all of them in the toolbox
- Minifig tab... will remain there for a bit more :mrgreen:
- Rotating arrows disappear using CTRL: how to make step degree rotations then?
- Brick shape selection tool: not too complex. WIll do...
- Brick disappear bug: if you have a sample model to reproduce the error I will try to fix it.

Hope I don't forget anything....

Sergio
Sergio Reano
(Author of the program)

legolijntje

Postby legolijntje » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 am

About the brick dissapear bug; I don't really have an example model. It just randomly appears in all kind of models and files :?

If you want to know, I have:

-Windows 7 64bit
-AMD Phenom II X4 960T (cpu)
-DDR3 SDRAM 8 GB (ram)
-ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 (motherboard)
-AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (graphic card)

I also have another thing to fix: if I press the close button (so, in the window; the red cross) and the model isn't saved, it asks me to save and I have the options Yes, No, Cancel. If press yes, I can save it, if I press no, the program closes, but if I press cancel, the dialog box disappears and then appears for the second time and if I press cancel again, the program stays open, but if I want to close again and the model isn't saved, I get an error message instead of the normal dialog box.

Mr Honk

Postby Mr Honk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:45 pm

I' d like to add some suggestions:

- What about an option to exchange "zooming" (CTRL + mousewheel) with "raising/lowering part" (mousewheel)? I personally prefer it the other way round and maybe I am not alone.

- Clicking on the arrows or the yellow circle is sometimes a bit sticky. It seems I don't hit the specified area. So I was wondering if it makes sense to put the yellow circle on "the other side" of the blue axis. This way you don't click the wrong button unintentionally.

- Hitting the arrows is sometimes tricky. My idea is to change "part turning". I think it would be very comfy to turn a part by just hoovering the cursor above an arrow and the turn the mousewheel. In this case the arrows don't have to be arrows (an area of a circle might be easier to hit) and you could easily realize both directions (with the already existing key commands for finer turning).
If this is not possible you could add some commands like ALT + click on an arrow: 90deg counterclockwise,
CTRL + ALT + click analog to CTRL + click but counterclockwise
Finally SHIFT + ALT + click for 0.5deg ccw

- It would be nice to read the angles in the status bar on the bottom although auto orient and connection solver make manual turning nearly redundant. But it is for me easier to work with such information.

- I think SR3D Builder does not need manual coordinate entry but a button that moves a part to the origin could be nice though. I like to start at 0,0,0... :roll:

- The instruction miner is great and it would be even more if one could add more commands for creating instructions and if it could stay open all the time representing your modelling in real time. It is a bit uncomfortable to close and re-open it get an updated list. Actually it reminds me of the feature tree in 3D CAD design software like Solid Works or CATIA V5...
Last edited by Mr Honk on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xSergio74

Postby xSergio74 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Mr Honk wrote:I' d like to add some suggestions:

- What about an option to exchange "zooming" (CTRL + mousewheel) with "raising/lowering part" (mousewheel)? I personally prefer it the other way round and maybe I am not alone.

- Clicking on the arrows or the yellow circle is sometimes a bit sticky. It seems I don't hit the specified area. So I was wondering if it makes sense to put the yellow circle on "the other side" of the blue axis. This way you don't click the wrong button unintentionally.

- Hitting the arrows is sometimes tricky. My idea is to change "part turning". I think it would be very comfy to turn a part by just hoovering the cursor above an arrow and the turn the mousewheel. In this case the arrows don't have to be arrows (an area of a circle might be easier to hit) and you could easily realize both directions (with the already existing key commands for finer turning).
If this is not possible you could add some commands like ALT + click on an arrow: 90deg counterclockwise,
CTRL + ALT + click analog to CTRL + click but counterclockwise
Finally SHIFT + ALT + click for 0.5deg ccw

Hi,
here are my considerations about your proposal:
- I use the more simple key mouse combination to perform the most commonly operation so rising/lowering a part occurs much more often then zooming

- I know there is still a bug in that making not all hit on arrow correctly recognized. I have to find the time to fix it

- This proposal is very interesting and I will work on it. If you don't see some kind of change in next 2-3 releases, please remind me. The idea to use mouse wheel when mouse is over a specific area is quite good since allows both rotation sense...

- The instruction miner cannot compete with some special purpose SW like lPub to create visual instructions. Anyway some addiction are "on the road" to make it a bit better. Anyway, due to my program structure, making it always visible is not so easy to implement and for the moment won't .

- You can set your current adding part to coords 0,0,0 using the reset view button in the button bar

Thanks for your contribute !!

Sergio
Sergio Reano
(Author of the program)

Mr Honk

Postby Mr Honk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 pm

You are very welcome! Actually I edit my post above while you were writing. I am sorry!

Your work is extraordinary! Please don't stop.

xSergio74

Postby xSergio74 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Mr Honk wrote:You are very welcome! Actually I edit my post above while you were writing. I am sorry!

Your work is extraordinary! Please don't stop.

Edited the answer considering your last comments.

Enjoy it !!

Sergio
Sergio Reano
(Author of the program)

Mr Honk

Postby Mr Honk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:18 pm

I do!!!! I am 12 again! :D

Mr Honk

Postby Mr Honk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 pm

xSergio74 wrote:
Hi,
here are my considerations about your proposal:
- I use the more simple key mouse combination to perform the most commonly operation so rising/lowering a part occurs much more often then zooming.

Ok. It's just a matter of getting used to it. :)

- I know there is still a bug in that making not all hit on arrow correctly recognized. I have to find the time to fix it

Mille grazie!

- This proposal is very interesting and I will work on it. If you don't see some kind of change in next 2-3 releases, please remind me. The idea to use mouse wheel when mouse is over a specific area is quite good since allows both rotation sense...

Thank you. I'll remind you if it is necessary.

- The instruction miner cannot compete with some special purpose SW like lPub to create visual instructions. Anyway some addiction are "on the road" to make it a bit better. Anyway, due to my program structure, making it always visible is not so easy to implement and for the moment won't .
I understand. Having it open permanently while designing - like in MLCad for example - would be enough.

- You can set your current adding part to coords 0,0,0 using the reset view button in the button bar
Ok, cool! Thanks.

Thanks for your contribute !!

Sergio

It's been a pleasure!

Return to “General Talk”