Some ideas to improve sr3d builder

Talk about anything about LEGO here!
captainowie

Re: Some ideas to improve sr3d builder

Postby captainowie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:50 am

I think SR3D Builder does not need manual coordinate entry...

I was just about to ask for manual coordinate/rotation entry! I think it would be useful for more than just starting your model at the origin.

I'll be using this program quite heavily over the next few days, so expect more feature requests and bug reports (I'll probably start a new thread in the Support forum for the bug reports).

Owen.

captainowie

Re: Some ideas to improve sr3d builder

Postby captainowie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 am

A couple more suggestions:

Is it possible to have a parts Brick Type that contains parts already in use? Often instead of hunting through the parts list for a common part, I'll just duplicate one that I've already placed in the model. However, this is not possible when building in Mirror Mode, and having a selection of parts that I've already used available from the toolbox would mitigate one of the main problems with Mirror Mode (at least, compared to how I use the software)

This one is a little more speculative. Is it possible to automatically create groups based on an animation, such that all things that move together are in the same group? See the attached file for what I mean - I'd like it if every part is put into a group with all other parts of the same colour (though I'm only using the colours for illustrative purposes here - the groups should be based on whether collections of parts move or rotate in unison). The reason this would be useful is for ease of making animations in LD4DStudio, which requires each group of parts that moves together to be its own model or sub-model. For animations involving only a few large-ish pieces, this is not so bad, but a technic model will have many different moving parts and separating them out into their own sub-models is a real pain. Given that you've got a group-to-new-file feature, being able to auto-generate the groups would be a great help.
In fact, you could probably go a lot further than this - you probably have enough information to produce a LD4DStudio project file with all the joints already defined. I'm not sure what ideas you had to allow users to export their animations - currently we're limited to screen captures - but exporting to software that's explicitly designed to do animations seems like the logical way to go.

Owen.
Attachments
AutoGroups.L3B
It would be nice if the program could create groups where everything that moves together (the same colour in this file) is part of the same group.
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Return to “General Talk”